1 November 2013

Books 1-10 Reviewed (#50Books2013)


1. The Blind Man of Seville - Robert Wilson 
My first read of the year and what a brilliant way to start. I really enjoyed 'The Blind Man of Seville' and found myself completely involved in the life of the main character, Javier Falcon, almost instantly. Robert Wilson cleverly pulls two very different storylines from separate eras together to create a wonderful crime novel that involves more than just murder and mystery. Wilson is great at plot twists and there is a massive one in this book that came from nowhere and totally surprised me.

2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon 
I will admit that I really struggled with this book at the beginning but that became part of its charm. I found it difficult to 'get into' because of the unusual way that it was written but I stuck with it and as I continued to read I found myself really connecting with the main character, Christopher Boone. It's very different to most books I've read, written from the perspective of a 15 year old boy with Asperger's, but it is well worth a read if you're after something completely different.

3. Life of Pi - Yann Martel 
'Life of Pi' has been added to my rather exclusive list of favourite books. I would most definitely recommend it to absolutely anyone and everyone, it truly is a fantastic and inspiring read. I found myself hooked in on the first page and it didn't let me go until the very last word. Brilliant.

4. Tan Lines - JJ Salem 
JJ Salem tells the story through three main characters; Liza (a successful and fearless feminist), Kellyanne (an aspiring actress) and Billie (a rock b*tch with a drug issue). I found the character's compelling and endearing and the book provoked my emotions quite a few times throughout the story...something that few books have been able to do. I fell in love with this book. It was a real page-turner and if you're looking for a great chick-lit book with plenty of sex, drama and surprises I'd definitely recommend it.

5. The Diamond of Drury Lane - Julia Golding 
It's worth noting that this is described as a young readers book although I would say that it stretches those limits to the extreme and whilst the main audience is teenage it is by no means a children' book. There were some frightening, tense and gruesome moments and it broached many topics, including gangs, illegal fights and matters of class and money and with each page I read I found myself further dragged into the darker side of an 18th Century London.

6. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 
'Pride and Prejudice' had been on my to read list for a long while, it was a book that I just never really got round to reading despite having it sitting at the front of my bookcase. I finally picked it up and I enjoyed it. It was quite refreshing reading the innocent romance of the age, something rather different to a more modern romance novel.
I did struggle a little with this book, mainly because of the language. I understood what was being said and what was going on but the age of the book definitely showed and it was pretty hard-going at some points. Part of me really loved it as so many books are 'modernised' and loose their sense of self, however the lazy part of me wished it had been easier to read. Never-the-less, I got into the story and was caught up in the suspense of it.

7. Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones 
'Mister Pip' illustrates the power of imagination and how books and stories can create an escape and alternative universe for the people that read and listen to them. By reading Great Expectations the children in Mister Pip are able to transport themselves from a blighted, war-stricken world into Victorian London. Both the wonders and brilliance of imagination and the dangers of it were highlighted in the book and while I didn't exactly love 'Mister Pip' I didn't hate it either. It isn't a book I would read again or recommend as it felt a bit disjointed but I'm glad I picked it up.

8. Touching the Void - Joe Simpson 
I honestly don't have the words to express how much I loved and enjoyed 'Touching the Void,' it has joined my 'favourite reads of all time' shelf and will firmly stay there. It was a superbly written true story that captured the excitement and immense danger of the mountains and the resilience, determination and pure survival instinct of two 'ordinary' men. It was a truly gripping read, jam-packed with suspense, willpower and friendship that simply wouldn't allow me to stop turning the pages. I absolutely LOVED it and it could quite easily be the best book I've read this year.

9. Remember Me - Fay Weldon 
At first, the style of writing in this book thew me completely and I just couldn't get into it at all. But something about the pure, and often brutal honesty, of the characters kept me hooked...and I'm very glad that it did as it rapidly turned into a really interesting read. There was a point in the book where I thought to myself "every character in this is vile" and I was surprised at the emotion Weldon managed to summon from me. It was a good, intriguing read that explored death in an honest yet spiritual way.

10. Thunder God - Paul Watkins 
This was a bit of an odd one, I neither liked nor disliked it, it was just...okay. The story took me on a journey around many different lands, religions and walks of life and I became rather attached the the main characters. If you're looking for an interesting read with a peek into the Norse faith then 'Thunder God' is for you. If not, I'd give it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment